Friday 16 November 2012

Ebay 101

I have been an avid lover of Ebay for several years. It is a fantastic site. I know many people who sell on Ebay for a living it is a great way to earn money for extra revenue and it's great way to find savvy finds. I go to Ebay for a lot of Vintage finds. If I was still in America I probably wouldn't be on Ebay as much as there are plenty of accessible vintage shops, thrift stores and designer outlets. But in the UK it's a bit more accessible for me. 

First and Foremost: Only buy what you would buy in the store. Don't buy something because it's cheap (although I do this, this is where I say "Do as I say and not as I do" you'll thank me later). You really don't need 10 pairs of vintage boots, or maybe you do, I don't know we all have our obsessions! I've bought several pairs of several boots in the last 5 years and 5 of those boots were on Ebay.

Two. Beware of fakes. I love my Miu Miu Glitter Sneakers so much that I wanted to buy another pair but not for full price. And since they sell out fast and don't go on sale, I thought to myself I'd check out Ebay every now and then for an additional pair. This is when I learned that there are Fake Miu Miu Sneakers. I couldn't believe it. I thought people are bidding on these things and they're not real!!! So here are some tips to avoid buying fakes:

  • Buy brands you are familiar with. Brands you already have in your closet so it'll be a bit easier to spot a fake. If not buy from sellers that have great feedback. Read their feedback; if someone says they sold a fake, then do not bid. Try to authenticate items (Gucci has their authentication/care team store on Old Bond Street in London) and return them if they are indeed fake. Finally leave feedback so other sellers can be weary of them in the future.
  • It's best to buy items in which the buyer has the original packaging, shows numerous photos, the serial number, the receipt, the dust bag, designer cards and etc... 
  • See if they accept returns, but this does not necessarily mean they are selling fakes if they don't. They may be like me and do not like the hassles of returns.
  • Ask questions, ask questions and ask more questions. 
  • If it is too good to be true it probably is. Nonetheless, there are some people out there in which Givenchy is their Primark or Walmart so they are just having a closet clearout for cheap. I love these people *smile*
  • All in all trust your instinct and go with your gut feeling. If you don't feel confident that it is real then do not bid.
All in all, I have had a few bad experiences but more good than bad, and I have ALWAYS gotten my money back. I don't play those types of games, I work hard for my money and don't wear fakes so I take it very personally. Realize that everyone is not genuine and there are people looking to make a quick buck out of a naive buyer, so be VERY cautious. 


Three. Save your searches. My favorite searches currently are vintage bracelets, vintage belts, and vintage boots.  Also save your favorite sellers

Four. People make mistakes. I've learned some people spell MiuMiu like this MuiMui and it's real. So sometimes people type in incorrect spellings of designers or have typ-o's and you'll be amazed at the number of lovely items that come up with misspellings. Again I love these types of people.

Five. Know your size. For Example I am a UK size 12 in Topshop, a UK 10/12 in COS and I have learned that Vintage Sizes in the UK tend to run smaller. So a UK 14 in a Vintage dress is actually a UK 12....get my drift?

Six. Have patience. You may not always see what you want when you want it but it will inevitably show up, trust me. That dress you wanted from Zara, Topshop, Opening Ceremony or Marni that sold out quickly someone is selling it online. But some people do take advantage of this, and sell for a bit more than the original price. The perfect example is H&M designer collaborations, they are always going for much more than the original selling price on Ebay....but hey you can't knock them, to them it's business.

Seven. Last but certainly not least. Leave feedback so you can get feedback. Some people are stuck in their adolescence and only leave feedback if you do. They have a tit for tat mentality; sad but very true. So leave feedback to gain a good Ebay rep.

I'm all about quality. I'd rather buy something that will last me 3-4 years if not longer than 2-3 wears (this excludes trendy items). Ebay is a place to find exceptional pieces both modern + vintage. Follow these tips and you'll be amazed at what you find. If you become addicted please don't blame me! *smile*

P.s. If you are an Ebay junkie, I always tweet that I am cutting my habit down, if you have a smart phone save items in your watch list. Hours before an item ends you'll get an email stating that a certain item is ending soon....again if you become addicted don't blame me. *wink*

It's Friday beautiful People Make Tonight a night to remember! Kisses. 

4 comments:

Kike said...

I really wish i could use Ebay to my advantage, but for some reason, i'm not patient enough and i always feel overwhelmed as soon as i begin a search. Smh.. But i will try these steps for sure! :)

http://styledbykalack.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Great and informative tips.

I actually don't buy a lot of things on Ebay, but I do plan on doing so in the future. Haha :)

Sellers that sell fake designer items and don't let the buyers know are just pathetic. I mean, some people don't mind buying fake designers, but it's still best to let your buyers know if the item you're selling is authentic or not.

Leaving feedback is important. In the past, when I purchased items on Ebay, I always send the seller an e-mail, just to confirm if their description of the item is correct. Most times, it is, sometimes it's not.


Sorry for the long comment. :)

Unknown said...

you're blazer/cardigan is gorgeous,
would you like to follow back? x

Unknown said...

*clears throat*
As an eaby addict my self i agree with all you mentioned
my family even named me the queen because of the way i deal with some seller who think the can swindle me(has dat ever happened to you..lol thinking they smart alicks )mum mentioned the other day 'Ola you need to stay of ebay and save up your money' but there are so many tantalizing offers tho

I nominated you for the Versatile blogger award
details are on my blog would love if you could participate :)

sorry for the long comment heh

olaalaba.blogspot.ie