Thursday 10 November 2011

Identify with Happiness


On my last blog I used to talk about everything and did less fashion, but now I am gonna do it all! I am gonna blog to make me happy, release my thoughts, opinions, have fun with it, and be able to look back at it years later and know I blogged my heart out, if you like it! GREAT!! If not, *shrugs* well everyone doesn't like the same things so it's cool *smile*.

So who are you? Do you know who you are? But most importantly do you like who you are? I have noticed especially in the last few weeks that there are a lot of unhappy jobless people out that there that do not know who they are. And if they do know who they are, do not embrace it, or look to gain a sense of themselves by putting other people down. I have come a LONG way... and no one, absolutely no one will steal my identity; nor can they change who I am or what I am becoming! Only God has that power no one else!

When I was younger growing up in the DMV I was subject of a lot of ridicule because I was brown skinned, didn't always rock what everyone had (I mean I had Nigerian parents they don't care about fashion jor!!! It's about the BOOKS, think about clothes later!), was chubby, and wasn't really boy crazy. Okay I was but again I had Nigerian parents you couldn't even mention bo-y...I think that's why my parents secretly sent me to an all girl high school (actually I know why my parents sent me to Seton but that's another story)!!! I didn't really fit into the mode of any group to be honest, but was cool with everyone to a certain extent. One thing I remember was people always knew me as the girl who could sing, and I guess that's how I made my mark.... by being me and expressing my God given talents.

My confidence level as a teen wasn't very high, and people that know me now may not believe me, because I say whatever I like now (within reason, learning to try and hold my tongue more) and I tend to be very assertive and pro-active, I don't like taking No, for an answer. But people don't understand it took years of discovering who I was, and accepting who I am. I had friends like Moji, Lola, Esther and my Ace to help me along the way. They always listened and had my back and never laughed at me and my dreams and/or aspirations. Those are people I will cherish forever. I now love who I am! Because I knew what it took for me to get here! I know the nights I cried because I wasn't happy with who I was or how people treated me. In High School, I learned very quickly people will treat you how you allow them to treat you. I re-learned that at Howard and re-learned it again when I started my Master's in the UK.

Nip things in the bud when people try to overstep their boundaries. All in all be diplomatic with people and be nice, but most importantly: be happy with who you are! If there is something about yourself that you don't like....Change it! What's stopping you?!?! One thing I always tell my friends is a man won't make you happy, money won't make you happy, fame won't make you happy, only you can make you happy. So live for no one else but your damn self! (Excuse my French)

One thing I will say is that when you believe in something and stick by something that is apart of your identity, and people will respect you for it. Where you come from, what you think, your ideologies are all apart of your identity, but most importantly know you decide who and what you are! You decide your identity! You have to choose to identify with being happy no one else can do that for you no one! So please if you aren't happy with your life, change your future today into a bright one full of happiness and an identity that you can claim wholeheartedly.

2 comments:

House of Brooke said...

Man O Man! I love this Post!
I had to have my Hubs & Kiddos read this.
Touching & True.

SN I just asked myself the other day are you really happy? If so good if not, what will you do for this happiness!?

Aggie said...

Vrai! Only you can make you happy.