Wednesday 5 September 2012

The Original David

There aren't many tees that I would buy or blog about because I make tee shirts (although my line SouL Boutique has been on a hiatus due to being in Pharmacy School) So I usually rock plain tees or my own tee shirts. However, there is ONE designer that I LOVE!!! Her name is Rakiyt Zakari, and she is the creator of The Original David. We used to keep in contact during my HU (Howard University) days because she made her tees by hand as did I, and I LOVED, LOVED all her stuff. My friends brother used to also Model for her so I've been watching, okay to be honest admiring, her for awhile. In a world, of MANY arising African Designers she reminds me of myself, a Nigerian American that infuses the American and African culture together into her designs. The Original David always pay attention to detail, are unique and consistently create captivative designs. 




Her designs have been seen on the likes of the Gym Class Heroes, Jay Electronica, Common, and many others. She pays ode to many greats in her designs: Grace Jones, Fela Kuti, and so many others, the essence of musical influences mainly Hip-Hop are strong in her collections. 

 I'll am coveting the Grace Jones tee, Fela Kuti Tee, a tee for the boo and a badge or so this fall and I Still want the OLU bag that she made a couple of years ago (hopefully I can convince her to make me one)...let me start saving up, as my list is VERY LONG, HA HAAAA!!!! 

Check out her blog here: http://theoriginaldavid.tumblr.com
Check out her Shop/Website here: http://www.theoriginaldavid.com/

I love people that are creative it inspires + motivates you to always do better, and The Original David is JUST THAT!!! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am obsessed with Africa! I would definitely wear this stuff. I dont know much about Africa or African culture and its rather sad, but I think nothing but positive thoughts about this so called "dark continent" despite what is portrayed on television. I hope I get to visit before I leave this earth!