Wednesday 31 October 2012

Growth + Joy

I don't tend to be very personal on my blog at times, because everyone wants to have that ounce of mystery to them every now and then. However, this week I have been looking at my life and those around me and noticed the amount of wisdom I have acquired just by living and taking chances. And if sharing my experiences will help someone else in life, that I will do.

When I was a freshman at Howard, 'the Mecca' at 17, I would have never imagined that the plans I had for my life would not play out exactly how I wanted them to. Yet, the amount of growth and wisdom that I have gained over the years is beyond priceless. I never knew that after completing my Chemistry degree I'd be packing up everything and going to the United Kingdom to start my Pharmacy Degree. I never knew. I remember hating Bradford, missing my family and friends, and crying for weeks on end because of how homesick I was. I remember my second year wanting to quit Pharmacy School, because I didn't think this was the profession for me, as I doodled and sketched more in classes than I took notes. I remember just hating Bradford and wanting to be back home.

Then as time went on, I learned that Bradford was where the Lord needed me to be. You see I had an interview to Kings College School of Pharmacy that I turned down, because I didn't want to be in London as I thought I wouldn't focus, got into Manchester University and that's where I was going to go I told my mother as a recent graduate. One week before travelling out, my mother (she's my anchor) told me I should go to this school called Bradford instead, as they have a 5 years program and it would be better for me in regards to coming back to the States. As she is my mother, and wouldn't steer me wrong intentionally, I listened. And I thank God everyday that I listened, everyday. Because I have met some amazing people in Bradford, had some amazing times, and learned some necessary life lessons.

I used to be so scared of change, I didn't want to be too far away from home. I didn't want my friends to leave to other states or countries, even if it was best for them. I was a selfish and clueless little girl that didn't understand that change can be good, and that God had something bigger in store for me than I could see.

If I was stubborn and didn't listen to my mother, my parents or those with wisdom around me, I wouldn't have met my Mr. Right as I met him in Bradford, I wouldn't have learned the importance of diplomacy + independence, and I wouldn't have gained a Pharmacy Degree. Now I have met some hurdles recently and even gotten angry at the Lord for some things that have happened. But through it all I am happy for growth, I am happy for a sound mind and I am happy for the experiences I have had throughout the last several years that have and continue to make me who I am today. If I had stayed in America, I wouldn't be as happy and as accomplished as I am today.

So to anyone reading this that has the opportunity to make a life changing decision that is hard or that may take you away from your family and friends, pray on that situation. It may hurt in the beginning but trust me that pain is only for a moment. You will gain so much more happiness and joy in the future. Another plus that I gained from moving to the United States was I was able to see people for who they really were. We all have friends, but I was able to realize the people who are my friends and those that are no longer my friends but family. Some people that I never imagined would pick up a phone and call did, and those that I expected to, didn't. It was a really good eye opener for me.

Life isn't about being popular, about money, or about fame (although all those things are great) it's about being happy and working on your relationship with God. I've learned that in my last several years in the UK. Although I may not be where I want to be right now in life, I am happy for the Growth and Joy that I have achieved thus far. I'll leave on this note, a friend once told me: While your beating yourself up about something minuet there are people out there who would love to be in your shoes, so don't ever think God has turned his back on you he hasn't.

Hope you're all having a great week! I am definitely learning a lot this week and that is the beauty of life! To everyone in New Jersey, New York, and my family along the East Coast I am continually praying for you and for my American people. God Bless, we shall rise above the destruction of Hurricane Sandy.

xoxo Ag


Now Playing: 'Be Grateful' - Kurt Carr Project Version

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Aww...what a lovely piece. I think we are all scared of taking chances at a point in our lives. What we need to believe is that, God knows what's best for us, and He will never lead us astray. The path might seem uncertain at times, but continuous faith and prayer will get us through.

Thanks for sharing. :)

JustBeingO said...

You have no idea how much this post has touched me like as I was reading it was just like I could relate because right now I'm trying to apply for pharmacy school! Wow thank you for sharing seriously!

Tidy-Up Gal said...

Phew. Life has its bumps in the road, and sometimes the bumps take longer to even out. But they do. Thanks for sharing your story!

chuqqy said...

i love u Ags! nice post God bless ur hustle

Unknown said...

thank you for this I am going to share this with my daughter.

Anonymous said...

very inspiring post!

enwongo cleopas said...

God bless you greatly for this wonderful post. It may seem late to read but this was just meant for me. I'm happy for you dear. You'll go far!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.vuittonhandbags2u.com/]louis vuitton handbags[/url], I truly viewed these web based and also despised the entire group however if since i walked along to a store i have to generate the whole bunch. there're sooo noticeably more cute physically. i favor the whole bunch, these companies be bold considerably more holiday enjoy the fine louis vuitton search. the individual def need put the theifs to a range!
[url=http://louisvuittonbagsonlines.overblog.com#louisvuittonbags]louis vuitton bags[/url] are ideal for the Seventy-six yr old little feet, that want effective aid, but like to look sophisticated.
I need my current [url=http://higts.overblog.com/#louisvuittonhandbags]louis vuitton handbags[/url]. Image seeking these items for years to come there isn't anything eventually picked up them as a result of my current mum and dad when it comes to Birthday, there is nothing really like any of them! I simply at present 'm struggling to find a second number of louis vuitton. They are wonderful by using both of those jeans and so sweatpants, and tend to be elegant also enjoyable. We are protecting a few hard cash to consider one particular set of(:
Appreciate, Prefer, Cherish each of these louis vuitton. These the perfect consequently hauling toys with. They're going with everything due to trousers so that you can legging in order to attires. Doesn't mean they are mainly because additional tall to be the regular long [url=http://regts2013.overblog.com/#louisvuittonstore]louis vuitton store[/url]. I'd personally state they are amongst that rapid also long [url=http://louisvuittonoutletonlines.overblog.com]louis vuitton outlet online[/url], upper mid alc ? ve. Yet unfortunately perfect tiny a pair of jeans. Perfect approach an invaluable of the winter holiday season.
Wonderful...nonetheless they hemorrhage african american color in the flatsoled boat on a foot. I provide free of stockings and have absolutely charcoal paws soon after making. However i really like [url=http://shoplouisvuittononlines.overblog.com#shoplouisvuitton]shop louis vuitton[/url] plus this light brown varieties at the same time!

Anonymous said...

The innovative lines of products are known to make [url=http://www.northfacejacketsdiscounted.org]north face jackets on sale[/url] activities like skiing, mountain climbing, hiking and numerous other ventures pretty convenient. Numerous people commend the comfort that these products offer in serious and varying [url=http://www.northfacejacketsdiscounted.org]north face outlet online[/url] . The use of high- high quality materials makes these items incredibly strong that they last a very long time despite continued use.