Tuesday 29 January 2013

Wedding Planning: Famzing + Friends

Hey everyone I hope you have been having a spectacular New Year's thus far! I am still juggling work, planning my wedding and studying. Let me just start off and say if I could have foreshadowed everything that has transpired and will transpire in the future. I would have had my wedding in the UK or planned a destination wedding in the Caribbean or Europe. Or just been an overall better planner by doing more research and not trusting people so much.
One thing I have learned is do not use friends (I used the word loosely) as wedding vendors especially female ones, unless they are your close friend. It seems men are straight to the point, they are about their money and don't give the run around...females? Nope. For some reason they play games, drag you through the mud, and waste your time. I have had two bad experiences with a decorator and a make up artist. In the end I have myself to blame for not being more assertive with them and trusting that they would do what they said they would do or act professionally. Wedding planning will definitely show you who is who, teach you professionalism and increase your project planning skills.

Another thing I have come across a lot as well are mediocre wedding vendors. No one is going to be a Bill Gates over night; however, people need to know when they are just starting out and their work is not good, great or fantastic yet. Their are some vendors that just started off and their work is average but they are still charging what professionals in that field would charge. I asked on of my friends why this up and coming vendor was charging so much when their work was just mediocre  Her reply: They were featured on Bella Naija. I rolled my eyes at the hype and stupidity of some couples that hire this vendor but I can't blame them, they believed the hype.

The problem here is the mentality that if you spend a lot of money then you are getting the best service. After viewing examples of this Bella Naija featured Vendor, I told myself I need to look online for a Vendor in this arena and not seek out Nigerian referrals or look for a Nigerian that is not big headed now because of famzing. Granted I love my people but anyone that knows me knows I like the best. But you don't always have to pay high dollars for the best, this also pertains to fashion, you don't have to spend a million dollars to look like a million dollars.
 I don't go by Nigerian famzing or any famzing for that matter, I want to see your work. Let your work speak for itself. I like humble people and people that have good work aesthetic  I don't care how good you are once these two traits are apparent you can charge me anything (joke, babes are on a BUDGET).

In short, there are certain things in a wedding that have to be done correctly. Decorations, the food, the music, the photography and the video. I was trying to cut cost with the above then I realized I do not want to regret being cheap on my wedding day then having horrific memories in the future. Thus, I am trying to juggle around my budget to make sure these items are done correctly. Nonetheless, I won't be subjected to famzing and I am trying to not use friends. I do have some friends helping me but these are people who I know won't flake on me, or I will flug them (joke). So I have five months to do a lot of last minute planning do to flakers and etc... but I know God is on my side and everything will work out for the best. Now to find a good professional decorator that is willing to go with my budget....this shall be interesting!

1 comment:

theladygenius said...

wow, I love the layout of the venue in that pic, I absolutely love straight tables, as opposed to the round ones, good luck with the planning, I love your writing style...