Friday 10 May 2013

Mastering Talents

Have you have ever heard the saying 'Jack of all trades master of none'? My mother told me that years ago, when she saw me doing so many things and I told her Pharmacy School wasn't what I wanted to do anymore. She was not having it, with a little stern message and her prayers I am now a Pharmacy Degree holder, lol. And I don't regret My Chemistry and Pharmacy Degrees one bit...I mean you gotta pay your bills somehow right? Nevertheless, you see I have many God given talents and it can be frustrating at times because you're putting your hands into so many pots that one or two often don't get the attention they need.

For those who know me well, I can sing, some say I can sang! But to be modest I will say I can carry a couple of notes. I also used to I design: tee shirts, jewelry and clothing, I can do some nice graphics, and I am a freelance vintage buyer. Last Weekend I went to visit a friend and he said the same thing my mother said but in a nicer way, (You know African Parents are blunt, but sincerely want the best for their children). He told me I should focus on two talents and not everything, but not ever recording my voice would be doing a disservice to myself. So while I am finishing my current designing ventures, I am also trying to figure out which talents I will focus on and turn into careers and which I will leave behind for others to master. It's hard but I am leaning towards focusing on: Jewelry Buying and Designing. 

What do you think? Do you think someone can do it all? Or should they just focus on one talent at a time then move on to the next venture, as I get older I am starting to believe the latter. I am thankful for my God given talents, i.e. Singing and plan to at least make an EP one day before I have kids. In the meantime, I am focusing on accessories and designing, oh yea and Pharmacy too...remember one has to pay the bills. 

Here is a preview of my current Jewelry Collection that I am creating. I will hopefully be finished soon!
What do you think thus far?




Everyone have a great weekend. 

6 comments:

chuqqie said...

Wow that's a lot of talents :), its a wonderful thing, personally I think you can have it all everything in moderation, I agree you should focus on some talents and explore then move onto others with time. And oh the jewellery is oh So FAbulous, unique not seen anything like it :)

Skirts Dresses and Stilettos said...

So much talents from one person, u r indeed blessed and gifted. I totally love the neckelaces and think you should stick to Jewelry Buying and Designing.

Tidy-Up Gal said...

ooh wee I wish I could sing. I'd be singing every single sentence. Just my opinion - I think singing is something you can still enjoy without trying to make a career/living out of it. Singing is such a beautiful, healing thing that you can sing anytime anywhere!

Blessing said...

You are indeed talented, I believe in living full and dying empty. God gave you gave you gifts to be a blessing to the world. I'd say you can do it all, you can train others to do some of what you know to do and just be the BOSS while you do others on your own. What's more important is that you major on the major and minor on the minor, never major on the minor. The bible says a man's gift makes room for him. It may see that Pharmacy is the best way to make the big bucks now but one of your many talents can bring in way more than you cab imagine. That's why we see many people quitting their careers and following their passions. I'd suggest you take this up to God in prayer, living a life of purpose is what matters.

Sorry for the speech, I really hope that helps.

Sorry for the grammatical errors, my iPad won't let me edit, hiss.

Carol Wangui said...

You can do it all but not at the same time. Focusing on 2 ventures will allow you to excel in them and once those ventures are under your control and you have a direction with them, you can always tackle the rest of your ventures Good luck. And I look forward to purchasing some of your work.

Carol
www.candekiss.com

Unknown said...

Those are really nice and different pieces. Im also stuck in that same place now, it gets frustrating.

I think its best to focus on maybe... one or two whichever of the bunch you know you're stronger in, put in everything and master it. Then you can face the others afterwards.

Its always one step at a time.