Friday 13 September 2013

Adire Junkie

Adire prints are so unique and are made in Nigeria. My mother and aunts used to tell me of how they had classes in tie-n-dye in making Adire during Secondary School, I wish they would teach me! I am very forward thinking in supporting Nigerian textile makers and those that make clothes with Adire material by supporting them we are keeping our culture alive (those of you who are Nigerian and if you aren't you're keeping African culture alive). Besides being made at home, love the stiffness of the material; I can use them for bags and accessories much more easily than Ankara. 

 When I found this particular print I was with my mother-in-law in Balogun market this Summer and I fell in love immediately. We debated about whether I should buy the material for almost 5 minutes. she said it looked old I said that's what gives it character, she shrugged and knew I'd purchase it. I was worth every kobo: 2,500 to be exact (did I get cheated?). I now wished I'd bought the two.

I wore this dress to a friends wedding last week (the most fun I've had at a wedding in a very long time) and it was nothing short of great. I got compliments on the dress all night. My tailor and I went back and forth with the design, it wasn't what I really wanted...however it turned out okay in the end. 
Outfit Grand Total:
Adire Dress + Tailoring: £30.00
Vintage Earrings: £12.00
Vintage Shoulder Bag w/gold detailing: £5.00
Assorted Bangles: £20.00
Miu Miu Ankle Strap Heels: Regular price £1,800 I scored them for £80.00 on sale.
Total: £147.00

Now Playing: D'Angelo - 'Cruisin'

15 comments:

Tonka said...

I absolutely love this dress on you - exquisite yet simple. Your accessories are perfect love the shoes and earrings.

Unknown said...

Girl, you are savig LIVES in this outfit. So #pinning your pictures. You should have argued for 5 minutes and even 10 if she took you there. It's a beautiful print and looks amazing on you!

StyleFash25 said...

You got a really lovely Adire i must say.

I think the Adire is in a class of its own cos its usually handmade/dyed and its associated with our rich culture.

Its one fabric just like Batik that won't be easily diluted or copied like the regular ankara.

I love the style you made, and you kept your accessories simple and chic.

And your hair gives me life every time i see it.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

www.stylefash25.blogspot.com

ChocolateFashionCoffee said...

the dress is so amazing , love it :)



Saci
ChocolateFashionCoffee
ChocolateFashionCoffee Facebook Page

Anonymous said...

please please pleassssse, where did u score these shoes for 80quid?!

Unknown said...

I love this look! This dress really shows your curves perfectly....

thatsjusttutu.blogspot.com

Alexandra Zakharova said...

Those photographs are adorable! Fantastic outfit and jewelery) I've got to say you look like a super star and your smile is so special and simply gorgeous, you have to believe me!
Wish you a blessed day ahead!

www.svetusvet.com

Angela said...

Hi! Love your dress!!!!!!!!!
Great look!!
Angela Donava
http://www.lookbooks.fr

Unknown said...

Gosh I love Balogun!! Every time I'm in Lagos, I have to go to Balogun. Could have got it a tad cheaper but still a good buy :-)

Unknown said...

Gosh I love Balogun!! Every time I'm in Lagos, I have to go to Balogun. Could have got it a tad cheaper but still a good buy :-)

Tammie S. said...

You look beautiful!

Bola said...

you need to do a post on how you got engaged. or did i miss it :)

Abby said...

You totally scored on those shoes!
What?!

simplychic said...

so stunning! you and the look.

p.s. you got the ultimate deal on those shoes!

Anonymous said...

Inspired by you. I made my adire dress and its soo pretty,I'v had the fabric for like ever and just did not know what to do with it until I saw your post.