Wednesday 2 October 2013

How to buy Designer for Less Online

A lot of people always wonder how I score designer items at great prices. The there are three main methods I use to buy designer items for up to 50% off the original price online.

Method One:
Ebay. As you now know I've bought a pair of Miu Miu heels for about 80 pounds (90 with shipping). They were brand new, in the box price tags still in tack and I was as over the moon. I have patience to find bargains, on Ebay and have become a pro when it comes to searching. If you don't have patience to search Ebay for cheap items then this method is not for you. The key to looking on Ebay for designer items is knowing what to search and to always make sure receipts or authenticity cards are in photos. If not then you risk buying a fake item. Sometimes sellers can be lazy. So ask them if they have the original box, shoe bags, purse bags and etc... ask to see additional photographs and always check their returns policy. Most people selling real items will allow you to return the item, as they know it's real.

Another way to find items on Ebay is to save searches to your email address. I don't recommend using this for popular designers like Gucci, Miu Miu or Prada because your email will be flooded constantly (also Gucci and Louis Vuitton have the most fake items on Ebay, it's quite annoying). Personally, my saved searches are Carven and an Italian Boot designer Migliorini. I get emails once a week and have bought two pairs of shoes via this method.

Method Two:
Discount Designer Websites. TheOutnet, Yoox.com, Gilt Group, MyHabit and many more. All these websites offer designer items for a fraction of the price. I get emails from all of the above and love that I can buy items here cheaper, these are most times  merchandise from past seasons.

Method Three:
Sale Season. I've mentioned this before. I search online for items I like and bookmark the pages, then during the Spring and January Sales I check to see if they are still in stock and purchase the items immediately. I am currently wanting a pair of high top Lanvin Sneakers, but I can't bring myself to spend another 400 pounds on a pair of sneakers so I'm waiting for sale season.

Although all the methods above will help you get designer items on sale remember to only buy the item if you are actually going to wear it, not because it's a bargain or 80% off. I've seen Camilla Skovgaard and Rubert Sanderson shoes go for 30 pounds on Ebay but I didn't buy them because they weren't my style and I knew I probably wouldn't wear them, but most importantly I didn't need them.

Spend your money on what you want. Decide if you have the patience to wait for sale season. However, if you were a size that sells out fast, maybe it's best to buy the item full price, as it may not make it into the sale. The key is to be smarter with your money. So as I always say never buy an item full price, if you don't have too...because most designer items go on sale...and if they don't there are always other outlets available to buy them cheaper.

Discount Designer Items that I am Loving at the moment:


P.s. Yoox.com is currently giving an extra 20% off purchases until October 6th. If only those Carven's were available in my size!!!

Now Playing - Drake - 'Too Much' 

3 comments:

Tammie S. said...

Great tips....my income level is not that of a person who can rock designer everything! I go to discount retailers if I want s brand on a dime and shop clearance and off-season as well. I might broaden my horizons after this post though...

Unknown said...

Girl the stuff on those sites are nice, but STILL too expensive. You single folks and you're discretionary income (assuming you have not kids) LOL.

josie renee said...

I use all these methods too! I love that amazon has a wishlist function where you can save items from different websites. I always have my wishlist full so when its sales season I'm ready to go (if I still want it).