Thursday 15 September 2011

Disgusted

Everyone knows if there is ONE celeb I do not play with it is KELIS!!!

Kelis was called 'Kunta Kinte,' 'A slave' and 'probably a disgusting Nigerian,' because she apparently 'jumped' the que, at the airport. Are you joking? And NO ONE said anything about it, that would never happen in America! I am disgusted and appalled at the level of insecurities, ignorance, and stupidity that some people possess! There was no need for those comments, but then again I am one of those people that would rather you be racist if you are to my face, than smile in my face and hate me simply because I am black. I on the other hand may not have been so quite. I probably would have replied in a cynical and calm tone, as I do when I faced with ignorant people, and then smiled at the end, to make you realize how stupid you sound, but you pick your battles.

I have respected Kelis' composure, because it takes a lot not to punch someone in the face or shout back at them for making such racial slurs. Especially when you are black, because we are just bombarded with so many stereotypes and it would just allow someone to have power over you. Imagine if Kelis punched this man, she would have been sued, probably banned from performing in the UK, and then prosecuted in a country that is years behind in progression. Which would have given someone else power over her, and you never give someone the power to determine your future never! The older I get the more I know sometimes keeping quite and/or remaining composed in the face of animosity is a sign of dignity and maturity.

 I am an American, I am NIGERIAN and I have currently been living in the UK, for the last 4 going on 5 years. And I for one like certain aspects of the UK, but have noticed that the UK as Kelis stated is decades behind racially I believe. I have heard the most racist and ignorant comments in my life in the UK. I left America: a country that is racist beyond all measures, a country where people were enslaved, physically and emotionally for hundreds of years, a country where people were lynched just because they were black, a country where black people fought for their rights, and a country that in my opinion still has a long way to go even with a Black President, and have never ever been called a Nigger to my face. Only to land in the UK and I am called a Nigger. I was shocked but remained composed and didn't say anything to the bystander but I cried because I was angry.

I was angry that some random man called me a Nigger amoungst other derogatory words but didn't know me. I was angry because no matter how successful I become, no matter how much money I get, no matter how many degrees I acquire; I will always be seen to some as just a rich Nigger. I was angry because I feel as though because I am black I have to work that much harder to prove myself, and I was angry because I said nothing.

It made so many of my lives and families experiences flash before my eyes.

My dad telling me a story of how they locked him in a room in a airport on his way back from Nigeria once and accused him of trafficking drugs because he was a young Nigerian, and well dressed (maybe too well dressed for their liking). How they searched every part of his body and drilled holes into his shoes that he bought from Georgetown, because they believed he was hiding drugs in the soles. And when they found nothing apologized and offered to just pay for his shoes. My father refused.

Or how my mother was the only black person in her class when she was doing her MBA at London's School of Business. She told me how her classmates were students from Harvard, Oxford, and the likes and would always ask her how did you get here? They couldn't fathom a young, pretty, African girl that was smart and from a good background that could afford this education, making exceptional grades it didn't make sense.

Or how in my all girl catholic high school in Prince Georges county I saw first hand the how an institution can work to silently undermine and embarrass black people. I will never forget how the year before I graduated how a mixed girl *Ashley became pregnant and was to graduate with honors, but the school's policy is that in event that you fall pregnant you have to leave the school. Thus the entire school knew Ashley was pregnant and would not be able to graduate. The next year one of my fellow classmates *Donna was sick and we were told by our religion teacher that she wouldn't be graduating with us due to her illness. I immediately felt sorry for her. Only for one of my well let's say vocal classmates *April to get upset stating:

"Uh Unh. See ya'll ain't even right! Last year when ASHLEY got pregnant the whole school knew and ya'll ain't allow her to graduate! But this year because its a white girl ya'll tryna make it seem like she is sick! Yea she is sick, she got morning sickness she's pregnant. See this isn't even right. She better not be graduating" Our teacher tried to silence April but to no avail. At the end of the day Donna got a high school diploma from our school.

Or the various stories I hear about a black guy being pulled over because they are young and driving a nice car, in the UK and America alike. My brother, father, friends, its stressful.

So what am I trying to say? I am to a point where I get sick and tired of ignorant behavior. That racist white man in the airport probably thought he tore Kelis down, not knowing Kelis is strong, and probably just fueled her drive to continue to succeed and teach her son to be strong and open-minded. I get tired of people making stupid comments because I am Nigerian or American. I get tired of people thinking less of me because I am black. I get tired of people thinking they are better than me because they aren't black. I get tired of racism on all levels period. But the funny thing is I love myself too much to let that stop me from achieving my dreams and aspirations, it gives me the fuel to work that much harder. And if God gave me the choice to come back in my next life as any race, I'd still choose Black, because I love who I am.

All in all there are times when it all becomes clear to me where America came from, Britain gained from colonialism and imperialism that is their history. I think the British people still have a lot to learn. And I am appalled when things happen here and people don't complain. It's the British culture someone told me, you just don't complain or make a ruckus . So people go around frustrated, angry, and shout behind closed doors but say nothing when it comes down to the real issues. That is one of the reasons why the UK has one of the highest rates of depression in the world. Keep brushing issues under the rug, it will only continue to fester and then blow up in our faces like the London riots. I could write about this topic for days, but I digress.

I'll simply end by saying I have enjoyed my time in the UK as I have interacted with people from various backgrounds and cultures, met my soul mate and I have learned to be more open minded and if it is God's will for me to stay here I will. But I won't be silenced and allow things to be brushed to the side when it comes to me and my family, I will speak out when and if needed, and not believe the facade that racism no longer exist.

9 comments:

Toks said...

Great article! Apparently, Boris Johnson tweeted Kelis about the incident saying that he's appalled by how she was treated and that he's on it. So looks like not all the UK authorities are bad after all :)

adeolA said...

Yes I heard about it too! I feel you jare. I love your blog btw. You re on my blog list. :) Pls follow me.

www.withlovefromade.blogspot.com

The Young Radicals said...

i was so disgusted when i read about it. It's so sad that people not only think like that but publicly act on it, arghhh.

Alisa said...

woooow! that is truly disgusting!! I think I know what school you went too (im from pg too, graduated from roosevelt) and they are notorious for that!!! I had a coworker who was hispanic and they kicked her out of the same said school when she got pregnant.

josie renee said...

Yea its humbling to know but at the end of the day, blacks EVERYWHERE are viewed as less then... from new york to london to berlin to jo'berg....racism is VERY much alive. I remember that everytime I cant catch a cab, or get in a club.. or like your father, when I was searched in cape town, south africa because obviously to be a black person who was well dressed, I obviously was involved in some sort of drug trade.

le fucking sigh

xx
josie
www.straightNOchase.com

Chic Therapy said...

I was appalled to learn about the Kellis thing

Ag said...

@ Everyone. I as very appalled but have learned that there are still a lot of growing that the world as a whole still has a lot to learn.

Maali said...

Yep! really disgusting, but there is this quote by Zora Neale Hurston that I like so much "Sometimes, I feel discriminated against, but it does not make me angry. It merely astonishes me. How can any deny themselves the pleasure of my company? It's beyond me.” I use it as my mantra when I face discrimination of any kind cos lets face it discrimination is everywhere... http://maalidesigns.blogspot.com/

House of Brooke said...

Horrible!!!
Luv the quote Maali shared by znh