Wednesday 21 September 2011

SuperNatural- Thou Must Moisturize


I can't stress how IMPORTANT it is to moisturize your hair. If you can't dedicate your time to moisturizing your hair daily and if not daily at least every other day, then your hair will suffer a great deal, I would also go to the extent of saying maybe being natural isn't for you. (I am not going to lie though its hard and there have been days when I forget but trying is the main objective). Here's why. Natural hair soaks up moisture like a sponge but also has a hard time retaining the moisture. Thus Moisturizing on a regular basis is a must, and must be your top priority at all times. Yes at ALL times! If you touch your hair and you think its dry add moisture immediately. And please NEVER comb your hair unless its moisturized properly it reduces breakage and shredding.

One mistake a lot of naturals make is thinking that hair grease is moisture, when this is not the case! Moisture is WATER based, most grease products contain petroleum and mineral oils, these do not moisturize and makes our hair drier. These are the BAD oils, try as much as possible to stay away. Now the GOOD oils are obtained from natural sources. Some examples are: coconut oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, castor oil, olive oil, Avocado Oil and Grapeseed oil. Coconut Oil is the only oil that can penetrate the hair shaft. Virgin Coconut oil is an excellent conditioner, helps promote growth for damaged hair, leaves hair shiny and helps to eliminate  dandruff for those who have that issue.

Now this is the key. Moisturize your hair and then add oil as a sealant. Conditioning oils should only be added after you moisturize, to help lock moisture onto your hair shaft. (I will do a post on the benefits of various oils in another post.)

So remember this if you remember nothing else: Moisturize with a water based product THEN add a sealant!

Product that I live by is:
Wave Nouveau Moisturizing Finishing Lotion by SoftSheenCarson I mix it with Infusium 23 Moisturizing Formula. I can not live without this product! This has changed my natural hair journey forever. If I had to forfeit all other products and choose only one product this would be the one! Yes it's that serious, for my hair at least, everyone's hair is different. But I can't live without it.


Other Moisturizers that you may like to try:
Organic Root Simulator Carrot Oil (Water based)
Elasta QP Mango Butter
S Curl Moisturizing activator (A water mist)

Lately I have been trying to stay on top of moisturizing my hair more, i.e. daily. because the British weather is starting to get cold, and I want to promote hair growth during the cold weather.

My Latest Daily Moisturizing Regime:
1. At Night I Plait or twist hair into various sections.


2. Add Wave Nouveau Moisturizing Finishing Lotion


3. Add Pure coconut oil to the scalp and massage my head for 1-2 mins, mainly my edges and naps to
    promote growth

4. Then seal in moisture with Castor Oil.

I have notice my hair remains moisturized longer as Castor Oil is a great Sealant and keeps hair thick, people also use Natural Shea Butter. (My goal is to get my hair to grow to 5 inches by December as it is 4 inches plaited in the front and 5.25 inches un-braided. 4.5 inches in the middle and back now when plaited. Since I had to cut it in May due to damage. I also take Skin, Nail, and Hair Vitamins, when I remember * embarrassed*).  So remember our hair needs moisture so don't starve it.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post!! Thanks for all the info. I have so much trouble styling my natural hair that i resort to braids and weaves.

-Cherrie

Jennifer S. said...

It hard to keep this hair moisturized but it does so much better when it is. :)

jen
http://blankwhiteframes.blogspot.com

Kenyetta said...

Thats the area i neglect and it shows i just started making that change

Ag said...

Cherrie- I resort to weaves and braids in the winter!!!
@Jen-I know it hard but like you said its worth it!
@Kenyetta- Yea we all did in at one point but we've seen the light! :D

House of Brooke said...

Needed this, and need that bag too!

Ps125 said...

Hello,

I love this information. I have a question. Do you mix the Infusium 23 and the finishing lotion together in the bottle?

thank you,