Wednesday 22 February 2012

Ankara Obsessed

From as young as I can remember I have always loved Ankara. Growing up Nigerian in America made me proud of my heritage, not all the time to be honest, but thanks to an enlightened father and a curious knowledge for my culture, ancestry and race learned to love my culture, our fabric and the skin I am in.

I never understood why people didn't like ankara or made fun of it especially in High School and Middle School. I am sure other Nigerian-Americans or African Americans can attest to being called African Booty Scratcher or etc...simply because I was African, wore an African bracelet, or skirt. I will never forget wondering at 9 in 5th grade, but aren't we all black? And I am not just as American as you, I was born here too? This would spark my curiosity even further I would later learn in life, of educating myself about black history as a whole. One stubborn fact about me as a child, is if you made fun of something I loved, I would NOT change. Almost 10 years later the love of African fabric has not died but become an obsession.

I love that I can go to Maryland now and see young girls rocking Ankara dresses to prom, church and parties. I love that Celebrities like Kelis embrace Ankara and Afrocentric designs, and I love that Africans are loving our own fabrics more and embracing it, as we know this was not always the case.

It seems this love has spread across the globe not just this season but season after season the trend finds it's way back onto fashion week runways. I personally think it's amusing, that a high end designer will charge thousands of pounds for an ankara bracelet, jacket or dress. I won't buy it! One because I can probably make it myself,  two I'd rather support a Black/African designer esp. those that aren't as popular yet and three I can get a one-of-a-kind sewn in Nigeria for nearly 95% cheaper. 

To be honest I probably won't buy an ankara bracelet from anyone because I can make it myself, real talk. 

The obsession with Ankara, Black Culture '90's Grunge', and Africa in Fashion will never die, and I am just as happy as any other Black person for this 'obsession;' however, you probably won't catch me in a Burberry Resort Skirt (unless it's a gift of course then hey we have no problems!) or Gwen Stefani's collection from a few years back as I found the collection very ugly and the fabric was what I pictured on my grandmother in the village wearing!



I hoard Ankara and always have at least 10-20 different types lying around the flat, even more in America. Dalston Market and Shepard's Bush in London are places that I frequent when I am looking for a new fabric in Jand, and Balogun Market in Lagos. I use Ankara for making tee shirts, dresses, bracelets, earrings, necklaces, notebooks, and anything else I can think of. I even want to use it to upholster my vintage winged chair when I get married. 

Ankara it's the fabric of my life!

I-Pod Tune: Les Nubians - 'Africa for the Future'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved this post. There is nothing more empowering than coming into your own and loving you! I think that you should start a business!!! BTW, I am an American woman who is 'attached' to a Liberian man and find Ankara to be fabulous. If I knew someone who could get the fabric for me and make clothing for me, I'd be all over it! :-)