Friday 10 February 2012

SuperNatural- Bantu Knot Twist

For awhile now everyone has been asking me how I get my hair to look like this:



To be honest it's very simple: Bantu Knot Twist. I started doing these in my hair about 5 years ago when I started to finally grow my hair out, but it wasn't until recently that I have done them with the right products that leave my hair soft and well moisturized. It is an easy process and takes about 20-30 mins depending on the size of the bantu twist that you knot. I personally don't like wash and goes, and never like going out without my afro having some type of curl pattern in it!



I use Coconut Oil, Castor Oil or Shea Butter (I prefer Shea Butter), Motions Setting Lotion and as always Wave Noveau's Moisturizing Finishing Lotion. 


1. After washing your hair or combing out your hair, section your hair into three to four parts. Then part out small sections anywhere from 2-5 cm's, add moisturizer and then a desired sealant in my case Shea Butter, especially to the ends. Comb through with a wide picked comb then do a two strand twist.


2. Next put Motions Setting Lotion onto the twist and wrap twist into a knot (Note: If your hair is prone to drying do not use Motions Setting Lotion as it contains Alcohol, instead use a non alcoholic styling gel). Then, use a bobby pin to hold the twisted knot in place. 

3. Continue to do 15-20 Bantu Knot Twist all over the head. (Make sure not to make the knots too tight as the bobby pin will hold the knots in place. Squint your eyes and if it feels too tight loosen the edges, as to not damage your hair follicles.)



4. After completely twisting the entire head into Bantu Knot Twist, massage coconut oil into the scalp, and set over night,covering your hair with a satin cap or scarf. (For some using a dryer may be more practical for you, but I try to guard against using heat whenever possible.)

5. In the morning, unravel your twist and your hair should look something like this:



6. Next, use you hands to gently separate the unraveled twist all over your hair to give you a curly afro.

7. Add a light base of moisturizer to your hair if it is dry, then massage Coconut Oil again, into the scalp and/or ends of hair to add a shiny look if your hair looks a bit dry, remember coconut oil is a moisturizing oil... 

Finished Product:



I hoped this hair tutorial helped and you'll all be rocking beautiful curly Afros in the near future!!! Have a blessed weekend!

I-Pod Playing - Dwele - 'If You Want To'

11 comments:

Jennifer S. said...

I tried this once before was it wasn't dry in the am. I will have to try it again sometime...

jen
http://blankwhiteframes.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

wow, u have such beautiful hair, i'll probably try this out on my stubborn times 2 hair :/
love ur blog, #following ya!

follow back soon ? :)
serenamariposa.blogspot.com

Muse Origins said...

Oooh the secret is out :D :D Thanks for sharing

You look so cute in that dress

Muse Origins
http://museorigins.com

Anonymous said...

love the outfit

Oluchi said...

Beautiful. I'll certainly try it when my hair grows longer.

Chic Therapy said...

Kinda similar to my natural hair care regime .Your hair is gorgeous

Unknown said...

Very nice!!

Thanks for the post.

-Cherrie

Nkemdilim Oranye said...

Im going to try this. I need a new hair style. Thanks for sharing

fromheadtoheels.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I think I'll give it a try because my hair is natural and this would be perfect during the summer months! Also, that outfit (with the fur collar) is AMAZING!

Tomilola Vanna said...

ooohhh! Your hair is absolutely gorg! Making me want to go natural..lol. Thanks for the comment on my blog. I know what you mean about people not knowing God in the UK, but I guess that's why God brought us here. Our life is a gospel and we've gotta preach the right message to them by our words, attitude and most importantly actions. God bless you...x

Unknown said...

luv the natural look on u