Tuesday 16 October 2012

Fashion the Smart Way


I love designer brands as much as the next person; however, I have learned that I have a slight problem I am addicted to them, but now I'm reclaiming my life back thanks to my Fiance and my mother telling me every week on the phone, 'Ag you are getting married next year, shey you know?'. So I am trying (it's hard) to cut back and let go. I haven't even started to make my Future Pharmacy Salary yet, and I spend this much already, so I know I have to relax and cut back.

I for one am not rich (yet *smile*), contrary to what my blogger friends believe (cough cough SkinnyHispter, for one) I just know how to shop, and shop a little bit too much for that matter, so I can speak from experience do not be like me! SAVE! At the moment, I am clearing out my closet (yes again). Because who really needs this many clothes I tell myself, and those clothes could possibly be money in my account.

Here are a couple of tips I have learned over the last years.

ONE

Keep your clothes in impeccable condition. You never know when you'll be able to re-sell your items. You can sell those Paige Jeans, that Vintage Fendi Bag and yes even that Forever21 dress if you keep your items in pristine condition. 

Places to sell online:
Ebay - They take 10% of whatever you sell and the rest is yours. I always try to sell on Ebay before I give to charity. I'll share tips with you later. 
Constorium Stores -  in the DMV area there is Mustard Seed; however, don't let your clothes go for dirt cheap. Bargain with them, and if you aren't happy with the prices they offer you, you don't have to sell them. 
Your Blog - If you are a Blogger use your blogging space. Now I have seen some big time bloggers sell ugly Chanel heels for $500.00 and I think to myself, ha ha yea right! And sure enough no one buys them, because think about it you can get a pair of NEW Louboutin's or Lanvin Sneakers for that price at The Saks Outlet store. Thus, Price your clothes reasonably. 

TWO

Don't just buy something because I am wearing it, Khloe Kardiashan is wearing it, or the popular girl from your school is rocking it. Buy it because YOU like it. Because you know what will happen? You'll wear it once and then it will never be worn again. Also don't buy something just because it's cheap, a bargain, or on-sale. Ask yourself do I really need that and would I have bought it full price, if the answer is no, don't buy it. 

THREE

Never buy something just because it's DESIGNER, nine times out of ten, there is something similar on the high streets. Buy designers that have longevity and that you will be able to re-sell, if and when you get tired of it. Brands that I think (thus my own personal opinion) possess this trait are Chanel, Louis Vuitton, YSL, Prada, Gucci, Fendi and Alaia. I have for one have been battling with my friend about whether I should I buy a Celine Bag or Chanel bag for my birthday. Every time I enter Harvey Nichols I almost close my eyes and just buy the Celine Bag, but my friend says Ag it's a trendy bag it won't be the hype for long, invest in a Chanel. Chanel is the only Brand that I have seen that is timeless and everyone knows. Even your unfashionable neighbor knows and can appreciate Chanel. A singer, that I met once bought a Chanel Watch for let's say $10,000 years ago. She then wanted to sell it, the watch had appreciated and the buying price was $15,000, that is $5,000 more. Thus, be smart about your huge designer purchases because one day you just might want to re-sell them. Also find out the Brands Care Policy. I'll talk about that in a future post.

FOUR

As a free-lance designer I should not be saying this but if and when you can avoid it, NEVER buy designer goods full price....NEVER! 

Let me tell you a story, when I was a sophomore at Howard University back in the states, I had a FLY friend let's call her Folake and she loved designer jeans. I graced the campus of HU from 2002 to 2006 and that was when every girl was rocking or wanted to rock: Seven for all Mankind, Paige, Citizens, True Religions, Earnest Sewn, Earl, Miss Sixty's and many more. Designer jeans were IN! But I NEVER spent $200+ on them and never will, you know why? Because Loemann's, Filenn's Basement and shoot sometimes even Marshall's had those same jeans for HALF the price at $70-$100.00. Folake nearly choked on her cocktail at dinner when I told her I only paid $100.00 for the Paige jeans at Loemann's as she was rocking those same jeans that she paid full price for. She couldn't believe it, from that day on whenever I spoke about a fabulous find, she listened! 

Secondly, most brands do go on sale, yes even Chanel (but not their Classic Designs), and with SO MANY websites now that sell designer goods for sometimes up to 40% off why not wait for sales?

FIVE

Last but not least be nice when shopping, chat with sales clerks and floor reps in stores, it pays off. I don't know but during my last 5 years in the United Kingdom I have become very bold + outgoing, maybe it's an American trait, but if I want something or I am curious... I ask! This is good because you become and 'insider' they tell you about sales, discounts, and tips around the store! You'd be amazed! I don't know if the British just like hearing my American Accent but it works for me. Once I went into Reiss to buy these two coats, I left and I couldn't stop thinking about this coat and the jacket. Even on sale they were still quite steep but the Old Ag had to have them. I then started talking to the Clerk which happened to be the store manager. He laughed when I said I was a Student, he said, "a student with Expensive taste" laughing. He then gave me 10% off and gave me a card that would give me 10% off whenever I shopped in the store! Just because I said hello, and I was curious about where he was from. Although my fiance believed it was because he was trying to 'toast me' or 'chat me up' but he wasn't he was just nice, because I was nice!

Another time I went into TM. Lewin to buy my fiance a shirt, they were having a sale and I asked about a particular cut, and said darn okay I'll come back tomorrow. He then whispered I'm not supposed to tell you this but tomorrow the shirts go down even more. I smiled and winked at him. Last but not least never be afraid to ask when or if something will go on sale. Before I coughed up the money for the Miu Miu Sneakers that I bought earlier this year, I went into Miu Miu in London to ask, if they were on 'the list' of items that would be going on sale the day after Christmas. I mean these shoes had been on my mind for four months and I just couldn't shake them. The store clerk said no, and they are almost sold out. I found myself on a mission to find those shoes and got them unfortunately for full price but I asked before I bought them.

So you see, shopping can be hard or detrimental to your bank account but it doesn't have to be! All in all you should have fun with it. Be outgoing, be smart but most of all remember Fashion can be an Investment! If you are going to buy designer goods buy brands that you can get a similar if not higher return on, or when there is a discount involved. 

You work hard for your money, so it should be hard for you to let it go! ~Ag

25 comments:

Style4Curves said...

Great tips!! And I'm struggling with not shopping so much because I get married next year too!!!

Tidy-Up Gal said...

Love the rule about buying it because YOU like it. I live by that. Also, the Kardashians say to follow the care labels on your clothes so that they last. So, if it says machine wash cold, don't wash it warm or with colors.

Style & Poise said...

I enjoyed this post! A good read and great tips! Thanks for sharing!

Roni
www.styleandpoise.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I'm also cleaning out my closet; bit by bit though. I also 'try' to not shop too much, because I tend to wear it once or twice, if I didn't need it. One has to shop because you need to, else you'll go broke. Hehe. I like your first and second tip. Being able to sell back one's clothes is a great feeling! :)

S. Bella said...

mmm thanks for the tips definitely going to be using number 5 more often now :)

chuqqie said...

Aint u just amazing Ag's I agree be nice :)

D.E.E.L.A.M.I said...

Woop woop.. Ag.. Experience is indeed the best teacher.. Good tips..
Dee Lami
www.deelamilovesit.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

amazing post, am sure u got a like able factor or a very nice way of approaching pple that's why you got good discounts. i think i should bookmark your blog, need to visit u more often.by the way, u are beautiful and your looks re amazing!!!
http://rock4less.blogspot.co.uk/

Unknown said...

you are a stylish queen,am ur new follower.
http://rock4less.blogspot.co.uk/

Kimberly said...

Hot stuff! Your pics are super cute =]. I beyond need that first look! Perhaps you'll mail me your sandals ;]. And I'm so thankful for these tips! They definitely are beneficial for evveerrryyyy shopaholic! I'm addicted to Ebay & love how I can find in-season steals and deals in the matter of minutes! Thanks for sharing doll!

Kimberly
KIMBERLYLUXE.COM

Ruva said...

okay that black number on the end with the gold detail i totally love!!

yr newest follower!

http://afr0chic.blogspot.co.uk/

Duchess Gabrielle said...

Some very practical and insightful advise. I have been influenced a time or two to buy something because I saw it on another blogger. And you are so right, I wore it once then was like ehh!

Duchess Gabrielle said...

Some very practical and insightful advise. I have been influenced a time or two to buy something because I saw it on another blogger. And you are so right, I wore it once then was like ehh!

Sid said...

This post was on point! Thanks for sharing.

mychicstyle said...

Great tips and points! I concur.

Tye said...

Great tips you have posted here. I think as fashion/style bloggers we are all guilty of over indulging in shopping to say the least, but I must agree with you and put myself on a shopping ban and save a little more although it's soooo hard haha. Thanks for sharing your tips in this post.

Also thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog as well. Loving yours and looking forward to reading more.

Tye
www.diaryofachicmommy.com

Alexandra Zakharova said...

Hi there) thank you for stopping by my blog and such a lovely comment u left, glad to meet you:) Your blog is awesome and you look simply gorgeous!!!! What do you say about following each other? i'm following you right now, hope you will do same:)
have a great time!

Best wishes, Alex
www.svetusvet.blogspot.com

xoxo Kellz* said...

Loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this xxx
www.islandchic77.com

Third World Profashional said...

Don't let out all our secrets!!!!

A Possible Fantasy said...

great tips! thanks for sharing!

do you want to follow each other on bloglovin' and gfc? let me know.
see you around! xx

www.apossiblefantasy.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Thank you f0r the lovely tips love...
Fortunately I have never been addicted to Designer goods. I go on net-a-porter, fill my basket with lots of fancy stuff and close the window lol..
it helped me get over my shoppaholic syndrome. lol

Hope all is well..
U will see me here often

xx

Diary Of A Shallow Black Girl

Unknown said...

What an excellent post! Being broke for the last few months has really forced me to re-evaluate what I need.

Thank you so much for this.

Shally A said...

Really cool fashion tips...and very nice blog. iLikey... shallydamidara.blogspot.com

Shally A said...

Really great tips...lovely blog, iLikey. shallydamidara.blogspot.com

Miss fashionmix said...

This is a great post and really helpful tips:)
I was reading from A to Z.
Count me as a new follower:)